'We have Plan B': Turkey warns Assad regime over violation of Idlib deal
if($('.nav-wrapper').width()<728){ google_ad_client = "ca-pub-8530768961177157"; google_ad_slot = "8024336238"; google_ad_width = 300; google_ad_height = 250; } else { google_ad_client = "ca-pub-8530768961177157"; google_ad_slot = "1705860969"; google_ad_width = 728; google_ad_height = 90; }

'We have Plan B': Turkey warns Assad regime over violation of Idlib deal

Turkish military convoy drives through the city of Binnish, in Idlib province, Syria [Ghaith al-Sayed/AP Photo]
Orient Net
Date: 2020-02-09 19:24
Turkey has alternative plans for northwestern Syria's Idlib and will follow through as it did with Operation Peace Spring, even though its warnings have been ignored by strategic partners, Defense Minister Hulusi Akar has said.

"We asked our strategic partners multiple times to carry out a joint anti-terror operation to clear terrorists off our border area and told them that we had a plan B and C if they did not accept our offer," Akar told the Turkish language daily, Hurriyet.

He added that Turkey proceeded by carrying out Operation Euphrates Shield only a month after the coup attempt, while it also did not hesitate to carry out Operations Olive Branch and Peace Spring.

"This is a clear indicator of our determination," he said, adding that Turkey will not hesitate to carry out another operation if the Bashar Assad regime militias do not withdraw from Turkish observation post areas by the end of February.

Akar noted that this was not a threat but the last option to reach a peaceful solution in the region. He said Turkey will do "whatever necessary" if the Assad regime tries to obstruct military reinforcements to the observation posts which are located in areas recently occupied by the regime.

"The regime indiscriminately bombed innocent people, including the elderly, women and children. Over a million people were forced to flee toward the Turkish border in the past year," Akar said. "Turkish observation posts will stay in the area as per the agreements signed with Russia and reinforcements will continue to take place."

The defense minister added that Turkey uses armed and unarmed unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) to continuously check the area.

Seven Turkish soldiers and a civilian contractor were killed and several others injured in a regime attack west of the strategic town of Saraqib, which was captured by regime forces on Thursday after a week-long assault. Akar said at least 76 Assad militiamen were killed in retaliatory fire.

Ankara and Moscow agreed last year in Sochi to stop acts of aggression and turn Idlib into a de-escalation zone, which was to be monitored by 12 Turkish observation points.

However, the Assad regime, Iran-backed militia groups and Russia have consistently violated the cease-fire, launching frequent attacks inside the de-escalation zone. 

Based on DS

Related

google_ad_client = "ca-pub-8530768961177157"; google_ad_slot = "4041467030"; google_ad_width = Math.floor($('.col.m12').first().innerWidth()/10)*10-30; google_ad_height = 90;
Binnish demonstrators revive Syrian revolution .Idlib demonstrators celebrate ninth anniversary of Syrian revolution .Turkey neutralizes 6 PKK militiamen in northern Syria .Two Turkish soldiers killed in rocket attack in Syria .Artillery shells kill, injure civilians in Aleppo’s Afrin .IED injures civilians in Aleppo’s Afrin .UN to suspend refugee resettlement abroad .Turkey neutralizes PKK militiamen in Syria .Assad tanks kill civilians in Daraa’s al-Sanamayn .Turkey deploys troops to observation points in Syria .SNHR: Assad regime has forcibly displaced 15.2 million Syrians since 2011 .UN urges Syria cease-fire to suppress COVID-19 .Coronavirus global death toll nearly 19,000