Teacher, civilians die of wounds sustained by Assad shelling on Idlib schools, residential areas
Orient Net 2020-03-05 07:03:00
Three civilians who were wounded Assad bombardment on Idlib schools and residential areas died of their injuries on Wednesday (March 4), Orient correspondent said.
Meanwhile, Assad-Russian warplanes bombed on Wednesday civilian homes in Binnish and al-Bara in Idlib countryside, injuring five civilians, including a woman and two children.
Mahmoud Sbeih, a teacher at al-Baraem school died of his wounds sustained in Assad shelling on the school on the 25th of February, raising the number of civilian casualties on Tuesday massacres to 24, including five teachers, four children and six women.
Assad militias targeted on Tuesday (February 25) eight schools, two kindergartens and a temporary accommodation center for IDPs in Idlib, killing 24 civilians, including four teachers (Soad Talja, Samira Badwi, Hani Mheimid and Lazkeen Hammo), nine children and seven women and injuring 90 others, including 39 children and women.
Teacher Hani Mheimid
Two other civilians died on Wednesday of their wounds sustained in Assad shelling on Idlib city center on the 3rd of March, raising the number of civilian casualties on Tuesday (March 3) massacres to 11 civilians including five children.
The Union of Medical Care and Relief Organizations (UOSSM) said 10 schools in total - including two nurseries - and the Idlib Central Hospital were hit by airstrikes and ground attacks.
Three nurses and a doctor were injured after Idlib Central Hospital was hit by an airstrike that heavily damaged the facility, the organization added.
Heba Morayef, Amnesty International's Middle East and North Africa Regional Director, has condemned the strikes, saying: "Schools should be safe places for children to learn and play, even in a conflict zone.
"Targeting schools and kindergartens being used for civilian purposes is a war crime."
In January, five children and four adults have been killed by a missile that hit a school and a camp for displaced people in the town of Sarmin in Idlib countryside.
Aid agencies have repeatedly warned that attacking Idlib puts the lives of 3 million civilians in danger and could trigger the worst humanitarian disaster of a war that has lasted nearly a decade.
Originally home to about a million people, the province’s population has been swollen with civilians displaced by Assad-Russian forcibly displacement elsewhere in the country.
The current humanitarian crisis in Idlib has been described as the worst since the start of the conflict in 2011.
The UN has previously warned that a full-scale battle for Idlib could result in a "bloodbath". In February, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres called for an immediate ceasefire.