Civilians killed as Russian warplanes bomb civilian homes, schools in Idlib
Orient Net 2020-02-27 07:06:00
Russian warplanes intensified bombardment on Idlib province on Wednesday (February 26), killing six civilians, including a woman and injuring 20 others, including children and women, Orient correspondent said.
The warplanes bombed on Wednesday civilian homes in several villages and towns, including Eilin, Arnaba and al-Muza, killing six civilians, including a woman and injuring 20 others, including three children.
Meanwhile, Assad-Russian warplanes and rockets bombed five schools and a mosque in Balyun village, al-Sheghoor city and Joseph village.
On Tuesday, Assad warplanes intensified bombardment on Idlib province, killing 22 civilians, including three teachers, nine children and seven women and injuring 90 others, including 39 children and women.
The Union of Medical Care and Relief Organizations (UOSSM) said on Tuesday 10 schools in total - including two nurseries - and the Idlib Central Hospital were hit by airstrikes and ground attacks.
Heba Morayef, Amnesty International's Middle East and North Africa Regional Director, condemned the strikes, saying: "Schools should be safe places for children to learn and play, even in a conflict zone.
"Targeting schools and kindergartens being used for civilian purposes is a war crime."
Aid agencies have repeatedly warned that attacking Idlib puts the lives of 3 million civilians in danger and could trigger the worst humanitarian disaster of a war that has lasted nearly a decade.
Originally home to about a million people, the province’s population has been swollen with civilians displaced by Assad-Russian forcibly displacement elsewhere in the country.
The current humanitarian crisis in Idlib has been described as the worst since the start of the conflict in 2011.
The UN has previously warned that a full-scale battle for Idlib could result in a "bloodbath". Last week, UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres called for an immediate ceasefire.