UN rights boss denounces attacks, deaths in northwest Syria bombings

Orient Net 2020-02-18 11:20:00

expressive image

Nearly 300 civilians have been killed in attacks this year in northwest Syria, 93% of them caused by strikes by the Assad regime and its ally Russia, the top United Nations human rights official said on Tuesday (February 18).

In a statement expressing “horror at the scale of the humanitarian crisis”, Michelle Bachelet denounced direct hits on or near camps of displaced civilians, as well as on medical and education facilities, including two hospitals on Monday. She has previously said such acts could be war crimes.

Her spokesman Rupert Colville, asked whether Assad regime and Russia were deliberately targeting civilians and buildings protected under international law, told a Geneva briefing: “The sheer quantity of attacks on hospitals, medical facilities, and schools would suggest they cannot all be accidental.”

Based on Reuters

Comments