أهم الأخبار

 

Opposition fighting factions set conditions to attend Astana talks

Orient Net 2017-03-13 08:35:00

expressive image

Spokesperson for opposition fighters’ delegation to Astana talks, Osama Abu Zeid, said that chances of opposition’s participation in the coming round of Astana talks has diminished because Russia has not committed to any of the pledges it gave and because of the ongoing massacres and forced displacement against civilians in Homs’ al-Waer neighborhood.

The delegation of the Revolutionary Military Forces refused to take part in the next round of the Astana Syria talks scheduled to be held in the capital of Kazakhstan on March 14-15, unless a number of conditions are met.

In a statement, which Orient Net has obtained a copy of, the delegation said that participation in Astana will depend on four issues:

1- Assad regime’s and allies’ full compliance with the agreed ceasefire.

2- Putting an end to the forced displacement and demographic change of the population in Homs’ al-Waer and other areas in Syria.

3- Postponing the talks in Astana to start after March 20 in order to assess the establishment of ceasefire regimes in the al-Waer and eastern Ghouta areas, the deadline for which has been set for March 20.

4- Finalizing discussions on ceasefire mechanisms, as agreed on earlier in Ankara meetings.

Two rounds of talks on Syria were held on January 23-24 and February 15-16, while on February 6, a technical meeting of experts took place in Astana. The meetings resulted in an agreement on establishing a joint group on monitoring the Syrian ceasefire which would lay groundwork for political discussions during the Geneva talks in accordance with the UN Security Council Resolution 2254.

Comments